Cabinetry and countertops are the major components of the color scheme in your kitchen. Keeping your color scheme simple gives you the flexibility to change your kitchen theme anytime by adding highlighting colors through smaller items and accessories. But there is more to matching kitchen countertops and cabinetry than just choosing colors, there is texture and the style of cabinets and counter types that best suit your lifestyle. Learn how to make your kitchen match with answers to some commonly asked questions about matching your countertops and cabinets.
How Do I Select The Color Scheme?
If you have cherry wood cabinetry, your blue or green countertops are going to make them appear very, very red or even pink. If your cabinetry has a yellow or orange undertone, cool gray or blue counters will intensify that undertone. Veined or speckled countertop patterns can give you the pops of color you need, without creating color drama in your kitchen. Wooden cabinetry and countertops can also be stained or varnished in colors of your choice.
A Few Rules to Use When Matching Counters and Cabinets
- Do you want a modern look? – Then use contrasting colors, for instance black cabinets and white countertops or vice versa.
Instead of contrast use earth tones for your cabinetry and pair it with quartz or granite countertops. This creates an understated modern look.
- Do you enjoy tone-on-tone designs? – If so, then match cabinets to countertops hues gives your kitchen a cohesive and very adaptable style. The simplicity of a monochromatic look (having or consisting of one color or hue) allows other colorful accents to shine including appliances, decor items, wall paint, etc.
- Do You Want More Color Choices? – If so, choose laminate countertops. Stone comes in a limited range of colors.
Often, the countertop will be the signature piece of the kitchen and colors for the cabinets, walls, backsplash, and hardware can be chosen with the countertop’s color and pattern in mind.
Want to see what W.Stephens can do for you?
Contact us (859) 331-8100 today!
About W.Stephens Cabinetry & Design
1-Source Turnkey Planning and Design Services
W.Stephens Cabinetry and Design provides planning and design services for the entire home including kitchens, bathrooms, wet bars, butler pantries, libraries, home theaters, and closets. Our designers follow a project from conception to completion, assisting clients in not only space-planning and design but also guiding clients through each step of the project.
Quality Cabinet and Hardware Suppliers
We are aligned with the top cabinet, appliance, hardware, and countertop suppliers in the world.
- Initial Client Consultation – The design process begins with a consultation at our show room or in your home to obtain the necessary information needed to design your dream kitchen, bath, or space.
- Design – We carefully design the space, keeping your desires as the foundation of our creativity.
- Feedback / Design Approval – Working with you, using your feedback to get final Design approval.
- Installation Meeting – We meet with the installers, prior to installation to go over ALL the details.
- Post Installation Follow-up – We follow-up with you to make sure everything went well during installation.
Our award winning designs collaboratively work together to create the perfect space for you.
>> View our designers
View pictures of featured past projects…
>> View our work